This life gives us basically two choices: live in the Father’s home, or flee to a “distant country.” Our choice is usually based on how well we understand the character of our heavenly Father.
For meditation and discussion:
- In what ways do we find the “distant country,” far from God’s dwelling place, most alluring?
- What do we do in response?
- When we read this parable, who appears to be the main character, and why?
- What does the father’s response tell us about the nature of God, particularly toward us?
- In what areas of our own lives do we need God to run to us (v.20)?
Give yourself permission to sit still with this parable for a few moments this week as the living God speaks to your innermost self.